Attorney/Client Agreement with retainer: Must be signed by all Debtors AND include retainer
- After fees AND documents are received, attorney needs ONE WEEK to prepare the petition
- If Documents are incomplete, Attorney will stop preparations, notify you, wait for documents before resuming work. During petition preparation promptly respond to Attorney emails to avoid delays.
- Petition Signing Appointment is confirmed after petition preparations are completed.
- All debtors MUST review, sign petition and attend Creditor’s Hearing set by Court about 30 days in advance.
- Attorney must have a credit counseling certificate for every debtor before case can be filed. Certificates are obtained after calling/online chat with agency. It takes 1.2 hours to complete the online course.
|At Creditor’s Hearing you will be asked, under penalty of perjury, if you thoroughly reviewed the petition before you signed it. Appointment Duration: Chapter 7: 2-3 hours Chapter 13: 3-4 hours *** Times based on attorney having ALL documents, no new unanticipated documents/issues. Don’t bring toddlers, bring glasses.
BRING WITH YOU TO THE PETITION SIGNING APPOINTMENT:
- Last pay stub(s) received OR if income is other than wages YTD Total Income Received Calculation
- Registration for all vehicles, motorcycles, trailers
- List of available balances in each and every financial account. Don’t include checks written not yet cleared.
- Check email if there are any other documents needed
- Court Filing Fee: if not already paid, must be paid by CASH only
- INCOME DOCUMENTS of Past Six Calendar Months AND Year-To-Date: COMPLETE income documentation includes documents for EACH and EVERY source of income received by ANY and ALL Debtor(s), Spouse of Debtor, AND Dependents
- FILED FEDERAL INCOME TAX RETURNS of PREVIOUS 2 YEARS
- Haven’t filed? Stop. Inform attorney. Prepare & file returns.
- Can’t find? Stop. Send to attorney Tax Transcript Request
- Owe Taxes? Contact tax authority if not sure what years you owe.
- If Tax owed >more than 3 years old send to attorney Acct Transcript Req . For CA: Login & Get Info Online
- If you’re on a payment plan, send to attorney recent Billing Statement showing a) how much is owed, b) by year AND c) by Category: Taxes, Penalties, Interest
- Personal Property List
- Storage Unit or Bank Safety Deposit Box? Disclose address, contents, value, name persons with access
- Property belonging to someone else? DESCRIBE ITEM(s), value, name & address of owner(s).
- Timeshares? Provide full description, valuation, contract (see broker/online listings of similar shares)
- Statements of Financial Accounts covering previous Six Calendar Months Prefer PDF documents by email
- Include EVERY Account, even if balance is zero or negative. Include spouse’s community property, even if spouse not filing.
- Recent Statement of ALL Investment & Retirement Account(s)
- Collection Letters/Bills :
- Been Sued? Summons AND Complaint OR case number
- Being Garnished? Copy of garnishment order
- Current Loan Statement(s) for ALL SECURED Debts (Car/RV/Trailer, Mortgage, Store Credit: Furniture, etc)
- Vehicle Valuations (see www.nadaguide.com or www.kbb.com)