TOKARSKA LAW CENTER CLIENT BANKRUPTCY PETITION PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS – READ CAREFULLY & FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO AVOID PROBLEMS OR DELAYS. ALL ITEMS must be received ONE WEEK PRIOR TO the DESIRED FILING DATE UNLESS other arrangements have been made. EMAIL Or DROP OFF (9AM to 5PM)
|Law Firms Procedures
- After fees AND all the documents are received, attorney needs ONE WEEK to prepare the petition. If documents are missing, Attorney will stop preparations, notify you, wait for documents before resuming work. To avoid delays during petition preparations respond to Attorney’s emails within 24 hours.
- ALL debtors must:
- Complete a Credit Counseling Course and give Attorney a certificate before the case is filed. Certificates are issued AFTER either a call or online chat with counselor. This task takes 1.2 hours. Plan accordingly.
- Attend Meeting with Attorney to Review and Sign the petition.
- Attend a Hearing at a date and time set by the Court. Typically scheduled in about 30 days.
|Petition Preparation Paperwork
- INCOME DOCUMENTS of Past Six Calendar Months AND Year-To-Date: COMPLETE income documentation includes documents for EACH and EVERY source of income received by ANY and ALL Debtor(s), Spouse of Debtor, AND Dependents
- FILED FEDERAL INCOME TAX RETURNS of PREVIOUS 2 YEARS
- Haven’t filed? Stop. Inform attorney. Prepare & file returns.
- Can’t find your returns? Stop. Send to attorney Tax Transcript Request
- Owe Taxes? Contact tax authority to confirm what years you owe.
- Personal Property List
- Storage Unit or Bank Safety Deposit Box? Disclose address, contents, value, name persons with access
- Property belonging to someone else? Describe Item(s), value, name & address of owner(s).
- Timeshares? Provide full description, valuation, contract (see broker/online listings of similar shares)
- Statements of Financial Accounts covering previous Six Calendar Months Prefer email of PDF Docs
- Include EVERY Account, even if balance is zero or negative. Include spouse’s community property.
- Recent Statement of ALL Investment & Retirement Account(s)
- Collection Letters/Bills :
- Been Sued? Summons AND Complaint OR case number
- Being Garnished? Copy of garnishment order
- Current Loan Statement(s) for ALL SECURED Debts (Car/RV/Trailer, Mortgage, Store Credit: Furniture, etc)
- Vehicle Valuations (see www.nadaguide.com or www.kbb.com)
|Petition Review & Sign Meeting
BRING WITH YOU
|At the Hearing you will be asked, under penalty of perjury, if you thoroughly reviewed the petition before you signed it. Appointment Duration: Chapter 7: 2-3 hours Chapter 13: 3-4 hours ***** Don’t bring toddlers, bring glasses.
- Last pay stub(s) received OR if income is other than wages YTD Total Income Received Calculation
- Registration for all vehicles, motorcycles, trailers
- List of available balances in every financial account. Don’t include checks written not yet cleared.
- Check email if there are any other documents needed
- If the Court Filing Fee has not yet paid, then now must be paid in CASH only, no time to cash a check.